Sunday, September 9, 2007

Galapagoes and Machu Picchu

Hello hello hello.
My apologies for the long wait between posts. There was not an abundance of Internet access in the Galapagos or on the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu.
We had an amazing time on our cruise around the Galapagos, swimming with sea lions and walking though hoards of huge iguana's. The trip was very structured because the area is so protected. Lots of nature walks...
Next we were off to Peru to trek four days along the Inka trail up to the ancient city of Machu Picchu (which means old mountain). For the 9 people in our group, we had 10 porters to carry our crap... along with a meal tent, a cooking tent, tables and chairs, food for 4 days of amazing meals, and huge propane tanks. These tiny old men would throw all their stuff onto a tarp, wrap it all up and make a makeshift bag out of rope and cloth. They always left after us, and would run past us to set up for lunch, and our campsite for that night. Amazing little guys those porters.
After running like a mad women on a huge downhill section with Chris and Mike on the 3rd day I managed to twist my ankle.... walking on flat ground about 2min from the campsite. Luckily a Doc was in our group and he had some nice friendly pain killers for me. I managed to hobble my way through the last 6 k to the breathtaking Machu Picchu.

Ill leave it at that for now, because I know that Vikki's head is probably bursting with things she wants to say about Galapagos and Peru.

The rest of the fam is leaving in a few days. Vikki and I plan on heading up north back into Ecuador to do some climbing with some friends we met at the comp.

Cant wait to get on some rock!!!! (I should be able to cram my huge cankle into a shoe by then)

ciao ciao

stace

No comments: